According to data from the CDC, over 20% of American adults experience chronic pain. An even larger number experience transient pain, either after injury, illness, exercise, or other activities.
But people shouldn’t have to suffer needlessly. The more tools people have to fight and relieve their pain, the healthier and happier our society can be.
As a wellness brand, you may think you don’t have anything to offer in this regard. After all, when people think of “pain management,” pharmaceuticals immediately come to mind.
The truth is, there’s a better and more natural option out there: CBD.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a chemical present in the cannabis plant that has been known to relieve pain and serve as an anti-inflammatory—without the hallucinogenic effects of THC. What’s more, CBD combined with other pain relief products can seriously help to augment the success of those other ingredients.
If you’re wondering which top CBD pain management products you should offer to your customers, here are the top three to consider.
Why use CBD for pain management?
With all the tools out there to help manage pain—especially pharmaceuticals—why should you consider using a CBD product? After all, although the products have made great strides in recent years, it’s still a relatively new market.
The reason CBD is in its infancy is purely for legal reasons. It wasn’t until the 2018 Farm Bill that hemp farming became legalized at the federal level, when hemp was removed from the federal definition of marijuana.
Now, hemp-derived products, like CBD, are federally legal so long as they contain less than 0.3% THC. We’re still waiting for CBD products to be officially approved by the FDA.
Given all this information, why should consumers use CBD over some of the “safer” pain management options?
The reality is that pharmaceuticals aren’t always the safer option. The addictive nature of opioids alone should give people pause when considering the use of substances to treat pain. Even a drug as innocuous as ibuprofen can increase the likelihood of blood clotting and heart disease.
In fact, there are some instances where CBD can help reduce dependence on these drugs while offering the same level of relief.
At the end of the day, CBD is a naturally produced product. When you work with a reputable manufacturer, the process is completely transparent. Plus, CBD has no addictive properties or narcotic effects. We strongly believe that the research will bear this out over time.
How does CBD actually work?
Although CBD is a naturally occurring substance, many people are hesitant to try it because they simply don’t understand how it works.
The science behind CBD is actually quite simple. Cannabinoids, of which CBD is one, interact with the human body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS). By binding to endocannabinoid receptors attached to cells, CBD can stimulate different cell responses that influence pain signaling pathways.
CBD, specifically, binds well to neurological receptors in the spinal cord, specifically the ones that suppress chronic inflammatory pain.
That said, the specific mechanics of how CBD works is still not fully understood, as many of the studies are in their infancy. Over time, we’ll learn more about how this chemical works. For now, there is enough evidence to show that it has an impact, especially when combined with other ingredients already used in pain relief products.
3 types of CBD pain management products
If your company is considering expanding to including CBD pain management products to your consumers, here are three that you should definitely consider.
1. CBD balms
One of the most common and popular products that Alkuhme offers is a CBD balm that’s dense, viscous, and melts when it touches skin.
While CBD is an important ingredient in these balms, it certainly isn’t the only one. We use all-natural, high-quality base products that are sourced from around the world:
- Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter melts at body temperature and acts as a refatting agent, and has become a staple in traditional African medicine as a moisturizer, skin protectant, and conditioner for skin, lips and hair. Its triterpene content also gives it anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tamanu Seed Oil contains many functional ingredients including phospholipids, calophyllolide (anti-inflammatory), oleic and linoleic fatty acids, and lactone (a natural antibiotic)
- Monoi Flower Extract has been used throughout Polynesian history to protect the skin from harsh conditions and prevent water loss during periods of exposure
- Coconut Oil naturally contains a high level of saturated fatty acids (lauric, myristic, caprylic, oleic and palmitic) that make it very emollient, and it also contains Vitamins E and K
- Babassu Seed Oil, extracted from the seeds of the Babassu trees in the Amazon, is rich in lipids and melts into skin on contact, providing a cooling and emollient effect
- Meadowfoam Seed Oil is prized for its exceptional oxidative stability and provides functionality in a wide range of cosmetic and personal care formulations
- Cupuacu Seed Butter contains phytosterols that support the lipid layer of the skin and help skin and hair retain moisture
- Murumuru Seed Butter, harvested from the seeds of the Murumuru trees in the Brazilian Amazon, has long been used to provide nutrition and hydration to skin and hair
- Camphor Oil is steam distilled from the Camphor tree (Cinnamomum Camphora) and helps to relieve pain and inflammation, as well as cool the body
- Eucalyptus Oil has a cooling effect on muscles and helps to reduce pain and inflammation
All of these ingredients are designed to help the skin’s natural ability to heal itself. When combined with CBD, it provides a powerful effect.
2. CBD sticks
In addition to our CBD balms, Alkuhme also provides a CBD stick, similar to a deodorant stick. For those whose life or work prevents them from having too much moisturizer on their hands, this is an excellent tool to provide quick, effective relief.
Our sticks specifically use a combination of camphor, a heating agent, and menthol, a cooling agent, to provide multiple levels of relief to the user. Additionally, we incorporate arnica for its anti-inflammatory properties. CBD then enhances the effectiveness of these substances.
3. CBD creams
Much like the balm, Alkhume’s CBD pain cream features many of the powerful ingredients mentioned above. The primary difference is that the cream also features camphor, as well as probiotics and prebiotics to enhance the skin biome.
As a result, these CBD creams not only offer pain relief, but also help the cells repair themselves to make the skin look younger.
These top three CBD pain management products provide a variety of options for those suffering from chronic and transient pain. For many, using a combination of the products—or all three—can help ensure that they have a relief option no matter where they are or what they’re doing.
If you want to provide more pain relief options for your consumers, offering these three CBD products can be a powerful option for you. And with Alkhume’s white-labeling services, you can do so easily with an expert in your corner.
To learn more about Alkuhme’s white-labeled CBD products, click here.